What is the procedure of applying porcelain or ceramic veneers on the teeth?
Porcelain veneers are completed in two appointments, whereas cerec veneer is
completed in one appointment. So the cerec veneers have become more popular
Procedure of two appoints is given below—
- Belfast dentist will remove teeth's outer enamel up to 0.5 - 0.7mm. thickness under local anaesthesia.
- Impressions of these are then taken so as to create veneers accordingly.
- Then temporary veneer is applied on these teeth.
Second appointment takes place after 1 – 2 weeks
- Belfast dentist removes the temporary veneers and fits the custom veneers which are made according to the impressions taken previously.
- Belfast dentist studies these fittings and size of these veneers and decides whether some modifications are needed or not.
- Once satisfied, the Belfast dentist then cleans the teeth and cements the veneers to the teeth with the help of composite resin cement.
CEREC veneers procedure –
- First of all teeth are reshaped. Then the teeth are coated with white powder which helps in taking 3D images with a 3D camera. These 3D photographs are used to develop the design of veneers with the help of CEREC software. Then cerec computer saves this data regarding the veneer model and sends this data to a milling machine. A ceramic or composite block is selected out of which the milling machine carves out a veneer, according to the data obtained from the CEREC computer.
- The milling machine can fabricate the veneer in 4 – 20 minutes. The time taken depends upon the complexity or type of the veneer. Performance of the milling machine also counts in the time taken.
- Belfast dentist with the help of a resin bonds the completed veneer to your teeth.
- With which procedure does the Belfast dentist bonds composite veneer onto the teeth?
- After preparing the teeth the Belfast dentist bonds the composite veneer on the teeth. A colour matching with your natural teeth colour is selected. And then the Belfast dentist sculpts the composite material. Then the composite material is hardened by putting a special light on it. After this the veneer is smoothed and a natural look is given to the veneer by proper polishing.
What are the possible side effects of veneer or laminate bonding?
- There occurs a sensitivity, to hot or cold foods, on the teeth. This sensitivity usually disappears after 1 – 2 weeks.
- Soon after getting the veneers you feel some difficulty during eating or during speaking. But soon you will be accustomed to the veneers, then this difficulty will disappear.
- After how much time can you return to normal life?
- Immediately after placement of veneers, you can resume your normal life, go to your work or go to your school.
Will you have to make any change in your life style?
- Yes, you will have to take care of veneers.
- Regular brushing and flossing will be necessary.
- Never bite into hard things, as it can damage the veneers,
- Do not chew on pencils, paper clips, or finger nails.
- Avoid clenching or grinding the teeth.
Should you go the Belfast dentist for after care of the veneers?
- Yes, you should go to the Belfast dentist if the pain and sensitivity of the teeth continues after two weeks. Also if the pain is severe and the medicines are unable to control it .
For how many years do the veneers remain on the teeth?
- Veneers usually have long life; they remain on the teeth for up to 8 – 15 years, depending upon the care taken by you. Regular check up from the Belfast dentist will also increase the life of the veneers.
Click here for a list of dentists in Belfast that offer Lumineers veneers.