Belfast dentists - Tongue cleaning
How important is tongue cleaning?
Scientific research has proved that---
- Brushing your teeth only, reduces bad breath by 25 %
- Tongue cleaning alone reduces the bad breath by 75 %.
- Teeth brushing & tongue cleaning reduce the bad breath by 85 %.
Tooth brushing and antiseptic mouthwashes do nothing to remove the debris present on the tongue, the main cause of bad breath. Tongue cleaning is the most effective method to combat the bad breath.
On which part of the tongue food debris gets deposited?
- The anterior part of the tongue has self-cleansing property. So it is less prone to large bacterial growths. The anterior portion of the tongue touches repeatedly and firmly against the upper hard palate. This friction cleans the anterior part of the tongue,
- The posterior part of the tongue rubs up against the upper soft palate very gently during the movements of the tongue. This friction is not enough to produce cleansing. Therefore the posterior part of the tongue is the most important area where food debris gets deposited. On the posterior part of the tongue bacteria grow in large numbers to produce bad breath, tooth decay and gingivitis. The posterior part of the tongue needs cleansing.