Dental Phobia Belfast dentists
Most people who suffer from a gum or a tooth problem avoid going to a dentist. They are ready to bear the pain of a severe toothache because the thought of going to a dentist terrifies them. In some patients the minor dental anxiety grows to become a phobia. These patients constantly remain under panic or fear and go on neglecting the necessary dental treatment. Thus the minor dental problem becomes a major problem after some time. Once the dental problem becomes bigger and complex, the required treatment also will have to be bigger and complex. Thus the patient will have to spend more money and spend more hours on the chair of a dentist.
The Belfast dentist knows about these dental anxieties present in the patients. Therefore they do sincere and fruitful efforts to alleviate anxiety and make the patient feel comfortable, relaxed, and confident. These days advanced dental techniques, equipments and medicines are available. Dentists have patient oriented emotional approach. Therefore the patients need not remain under panic. Visiting a dentist should not be a burdening task on your mind and body.
Do you panic or fear from going to the dentist's chair?
The patients who panic or fear from going to the dentist's chair, develop the following symptoms ---
- Just the thought of to going to a dentist, makes them ill.
- The thought of going to a dentist creates anxiety which produces insomnia on the night or many nights before going to the dentist.
- When you see the dentist, you cannot resist a cry and your heart rate is increased.
- You start sweating due to fear and panic, when the dentist places instruments for check up in your mouth.
- A gagging or choking sensation is felt during the dental examination.
- During a dental procedure while sitting on a dental chair you experience a loss of control.
- You fear an imaginary pain
- The sound of the dentist's drill frightens you.
What are the harmful effects of dental phobia?
Due to the fear of a dentist you start postponing the treatment of a dental problem which needs immediate care. This dental problem, if untreated, can alter the appearance of your teeth making it unaesthetic. As a result you will become self conscious and avoid smiling. It can have harmful effect on your professional and personal life.
How the Belfast dentist will help you control your phobias and dental anxiety?
SELF-HELP – You should explain your fears and phobias to your Belfast dentist. After listening to you, the Belfast dentist will deal with your problem with due care and sympathy. You and the Belfast dentist will agree on a signal which you will make to indicate that you want the dentist to stop the procedure for a moment.
Which solutions will be offered by the Belfast dentist to control anxiety?
Medicines for pain and anxiety ---
Topical anaesthetics – An anaesthetic gel or spray is used on the gums. An adhesive tape which sticks to the gum is also available. It releases a painkiller into the tissues. It is applied a few minutes before the dental surgery to relieve the pricking pain caused by an injection. It also relieves the discomfort caused during the gum treatments and cleanings.
Local anaesthetics – local anaesthetic is injected near the site of the treatment.
Anti-anxiety drugs – tranquillizers e.g. diazepam is given an hour before the anaesthetic injection to help relieve your anxiety before the dental procedure.
Conscious sedation –sedatives oral or intravenous may be given. These will control pain as well as anxiety and help you relax. The sedative effect usually lasts for 1 – 2 hours. It changes your awareness regarding the procedure. It has no ill effect on breathing or other body functions.
- Oral surgery –Oral sedatives are given 45 minutes prior to the dental procedure.
- Intravenous sedation -- Intravenous sedation is administered through a cannula which is placed in the vein of the hand or the arm. After the completion of the oral surgery, local anaesthesia is given in the tissues to reduce post-operative pain.
General anaesthesia – it is used to make you fully unconscious. It is used in following conditions ---
- When the Surgical procedures are to be carried on the jaw and the mouth.
- You have severe dental phobia.
- When physical or mental disabilities are present. These may interfere with the surgery.
Distraction methods are also used to relieve your anxiety. These will divert your mind from the treatment. Thus you will forget your fears. These methods include ---
- Guided imagery – The Belfast dentists will explain to you some visualization techniques. You will imagine yourself to be in a pleasant place like sea shore or picnic place, doing, feeling or hearing imaginary things. It will help you relax.
- You will watch a DVD or listen to music on personal stereo while sitting on a dental chair.
- You will concentrate your mind on relaxing part of your body from head to toe.
- Breathing techniques – you will perform deep and slow breathing exercises.
What are the advantages of getting familiar with your dentist?
You should visit your dentist from time to time for regular check ups. These visits will provide dual benefit ---
- You will be able to know about your dental condition. You will be able to get dental treatment in early stage of the dental problems. It will prevent development of dental caries and gum diseases.
- You will develop a comfortable and sympathetic understanding with your dentist, you will thus build confidence and trust in the Belfast dentist, and it will help reduce dental anxiety.
Click here for a list of dentists in Belfast.
- Belfast dentist List>>
- Contact us
- Dental implants
- Teeth Whitening
- Botox & Fillers
- Root canal
- Gum shaping
- Gum disease
- Bad breath
- Interdental brush
- Electric toothbrush
- Tongue cleaning
- Fissure sealants
- Anxious patients
Belfast dentist List>>